In many sources (including Wikipedia) Palazzo Buttiġieġ – Francia is called Palazzo Ferreria, which is not correct.
The Palace was built in 1876 on the site previously occupied by the Foundry building belonging to the Order of St John. That old building was called Ferreria and it gave the nickname to the new Palace.
Palazzo Buttigieg – Francia was designed and built by a prominent Maltese architect Giuseppe Bonavia (1821-1885). It was a brave and successful experiment in the Neo-Gothic style, inspired by Venetian Gothic, Byzantine and Oriental themes.
This majestic Palazzo was commissioned by the families of Buttigieġ and Camilleri, whose coats of arms are exhibited on the facade. The rooster stands for Buttigieġ and the camel, for Camilleri.
The families of Buttigieg and Francia were the last owners of the palace, thus the name Palazzo Buttigieg – Francia.
This information was provided to us by Mr. Denis Galea Vella Maslennikov – an MTA licensed Tour Guide